Tuesday, October 30, 2012

endure to the end….

I have been doing some topical study in the scriptures, the plan of salvation being subject. I made a simple drawing in my notebook and my plan was to take each diagram  and what it represented, study the scriptures and articles I found and then move on to the next diagram, marching my way through my simple drawing. My plan didn’t work out, but I have benefited to much by this study. My drawing is still simple, but what those drawings represent have more meaning to me now. There are many “side roads” that I find myself on, all still encompassed by the plan. Which, btw, is one of the things I have grown to love the most. Everything applies, and is so much clearer when I apply it to the perfect plan of our Father.

Today I was studying enduring to the end. It was perfect timing for me to read what I read to help me get perspective.

First a scripture, touched my heart and humbled me. Hebrews 5:8-9 Though he were a Son, yet learned  he obedience by the things which he suffered; And being made perfect he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

The Savior is the supreme example in ALL things.

Another scripture giving me perspective and comfort. D&C 24:8 Be patient in afflictions for thou shalt have many; but endure them, for, lo, I am with thee, even unto the end of thy days.

Through the atonement I find strength and comfort.

Lastly, an article that was instructive. I could see how to apply the principles to my life. Elder Hales:

“We were not sent by Father in Heaven just to be born. We were sent to endure and return to Him with honor.

"We are taught in the scriptures that there must be opposition in all things (see 2 Ne. 2:11 ). It is not a question of if we are ready for the tests; it is a matter of when. We must prepare to be ready for tests that will present themselves without warning.

“The basic requirements for enduring to the end include knowing who we are, children of God with a desire to return to His presence after mortality; understanding the purpose of life, to endure to the end and obtain eternal life; and living obediently with a desire and a determination to endure all things, having eternal vision. Eternal vision allows us to overcome opposition in our temporal state and, ultimately, achieve the promised rewards and blessings of eternal life.

“If we are patient in our afflictions, endure them well, and wait upon the Lord to learn the lessons of mortality, the Lord will be with us to strengthen us unto the end of our days: “He that shall [faithfully] endure unto the end, the same shall be saved” ( Mark 13:13 ) and return with honor to our Heavenly Father.

“We learn to endure to the end by learning to finish our current responsibilities, and we simply continue doing it all of our lives. We cannot expect to learn endurance in our later years if we have developed the habit of quitting when things get difficult now."

My “take away”:

  1. Remember:  I am a child of God. I have a purpose.
  2. Vision: I want to return to my Heavenly Father.
  3. Action: I will be obedient, do His will. I will not quit.

No comments: