Saturday, December 14, 2013

Agency and Answers

After Alma and Amulek are done teaching, the people are divided into two groups. One that believed what was taught and that belief stirred them to action. They repented and studied the scriptures. Was that to find answers for themselves through the spirit?

The rest are angry, won’t see the truth or change—they like things as they are. They just want to destroy Alma and Amulek.

I could really see that my belief and the teachings I receive should stir me to action, improvements. I can look at my reaction-the feelings I have when I am taught. If my feelings send me to search, pray and repent than I am on the right side probably. But if I feel anger and bitter I need to re-examine and realign.

Another interesting think I noticed was the two different reactions between Alma and Amulek. Amulek want to use the power of God they have been given and save the people, he also wonders if he is next. But Alma is listening for the spirit’s instructions and learns that they are not to do anything and says their work is not finished, so they aren’t going to burn. The Lord is using this event to condemn those that will not believe.

I read these quotes in the study guide that taught me. Elder Richard G. Scott of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles used the story of Alma and Amulek to illustrate that the Lord will deliver us from our afflictions, but only after we have proven our faith by submitting to His will”

Remember that God’s mercy and justice are greater than the wickedness of this world. In Ammonihah those who repented and accepted the teachings of Alma received the Lord’s blessings even though many of them were cast out or destroyed. Amulek pleaded with Alma to petition the Lord to save the righteous from the actions of the wicked. Alma’s explanation to Amulek, however, confirms the principle of agency and the blessings awaiting those who suffer for the gospel’s sake. The wicked will receive God’s justice either in this life or in the life to come.

I loved this quote to and helped me to understand about how answers to prayers affect agency. Spencer W Kimball--“If joy and peace and rewards were instantaneously given the doer of good, there could be no evil—all would do good but not because of the rightness of doing good. There would be no test of strength, no development of character, no growth of powers, no free agency, only satanic controls. “Should all prayers be immediately answered according to our selfish desires and our limited understanding, then there would be little or no suffering, sorrow, disappointment, or even death, and if these were not, there would also be no joy, success, resurrection, nor eternal life and godhood” (Faith Precedes the Miracle

Amulek has given up everything and goes to Zarahemla with Alma. He gave up what was important in this life in exchange for spiritual blessings and a place in heaven. But I think he had joy in this life as he saw people change and in the new relationships he developed. Knowing you are doing what the Lord wants you to has got to bring peace and that is worth a lot.

No comments: